One of the lessons we want to instill in our children is the importance of using your life to try to make a positive difference in the world, wherever and however you can. To that end, we feel it is important to find ways to give back, to our community and to the world at large. There are many ways we are striving to do that. Here are our thoughts for ways you can try to make a positive difference:
1. Mentor a child in your community. There are many children out there who are lacking a positive role model. You could make a huge difference simply by being yourself. The time commitment depends on the individual people and can be worked around a busy schedule.
2. Donate outgrown toys and clothes to a shelter or secondhand store. Donate non-perishable food to a soup kitchen. Your kids can help pick out clothes that don't fit them anymore, and they can go with you to drop the items off.
3. Donate your time to a service organization. Better yet, bring the whole family along. Nothing beats a sense of entitlement like seeing other kids who don't have basic necessities.
4. Whenever possible, shop from a fair trade website or store. By purchasing from fair trade, you are ensuring that the person who made that item is getting a fair wage and working in decent conditions. Check out one of the many websites devoted to fair trade shopping here: http://www.tenthousandvillages.com
5. Donate to an organization that fights hunger. Our favorite is Heifer International. You can donate money to help send animals to needy villages, which then helps the village become more self-sufficient. You can learn more about Heifer International through their website: http://www.heifer.org
I bet there are lots of things you could add to this list. Feel free to email me your suggestions at: firstname.lastname@example.org